The Neue Wache ("New Guardhouse") was built by Karl Friedrich Schinkel from 1816-18. The interior was redecorated in 1931, 1969 and 1993. The present form follows a design by Heinrich Tessenow from 1931. Displaying an enlarged sculpture of a mourning mother by Käthe Kollwitz, it functions as a memorial to the victims of war and tyranny since 1993.
Bus line 100, 200, TXL, night bus line N2, stop Staatsoper (0,1 km)
Bus line 147, stop Werderscher Markt (0,2 km)
Tram line M1, M12, stop Am Kupfergraben (0,3 km)